Frequently Asked Questions
IS IT DIFFICULT TO LEARN TO SAIL A BLOKART?
So easy! If you have some sailing experience you will take to it in minutes. It is the same principle as sailing on water only easier and quicker. If you’ve never sailed before you should still be able to pick it up very quickly (a couple laps and you’ll be fully confident). You will be given complete instructions and a safety briefing when you are issued your safety equipment. Then we’ll go over it again on the track before you sail. Our instructors are always available to provide help and advice.
HOW FAST DO THEY GO?
This really depends on the conditions and how fast you want to go. With a nice breeze you can get along at around 30-40 kph. With stormy conditions you can reach speeds closer to 60 kph. The current blokart speed record is 125 kph on a dry lake in Nevada.
WHAT IF THE WEATHER IS BAD ON THE DAY?
If the wind is blowing it is a good day! Blokarts on our track sail best with 12-25 knots of breeze. However, if it isn’t looking good and there is no wind on your rental day, give us a call prior to coming out we’ll let you know if we need to reschedule. We have a range of sails for most conditions, but if the wind is too strong for safe sailing we may temporarily close the blokart track. We are very reasonable and we understand if Mother Nature gets in the way of your sailing plans, so we’re happy to organise a postponement or refund deposits if you can’t sail.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO BRING?
We recommend a pair of closed in shoes, sun-smart, comfortable clothing, and sunglasses. A helmet and gloves will be provided.
HOW SAFE ARE BLOKARTS?
Assuming you follow instructions and use a little common sense, they are very safe. They are probably the safest sail sport on the planet! Our experienced instructors will choose your sail based on the conditions, your size and skill level. If you are a little nervous just tell the instructor and they will set-up your kart with a smaller sail.
HOW ARE YOU DEALING WITH CORONA VIRUS?
Landsailing is naturally an activity which incorporates many of the recommended safety measures for dealing with Covid-19. So, in addition to:
- being outside in the fresh air and sunshine
- social distancing in your own personal blokart
- being on Bonaire with wide open spaces and healthy environment and low population
- and being encased in a positive vibe with your bullet-proof “blokart grin” in place
- insist that you wash your hands with the provided hand sanitiser before entering the briefing area
- ask that you stay in your family/friend groups and keep a minimum of 1.5m from the other customers and our staff
- provide helmet liners (or you can bring your own cap or durag)
- sanitise all the helmets and gloves between each use
- wipe down (with bleach) all the surfaces – karts and briefing area and toilets after each use
- and, for now, we’ve stopped providing our usual fresh fruit (but we’re working on alternative refreshments – stay tuned); we still have cold, clean water – use our non-plastic glasses or bring your own water bottle to fill up (we’ll have some landsailing adventure ones for you to buy soon!)
DO YOU PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION TO THE TRACK?
Sure do. Give us a call. We have a 10 passenger van, but we won’t combine different groups together due to social distancing rules.